Translate

Search

Wednesday 21 August 2013

I need that first love, badly


I met someone who only gave her life to Jesus Christ a few months ago.
And the fire burning in her! I was almost envious. She was on so much fire for the Lord, it forced me to re-evaluate my own 11-year walk in salvation. I wondered what had happened to that fire.
When you first become born-again, nothing can shake your faith in God, the fire that burns so brightly and the love for the Lord that threatens to choke you. I remembered that those early years, I just could not get enough of my God. Even now, I cannot get enough of Him, but how I long for that first love!
Monday evening would find me in fellowship with my prayer partner. Tuesday evening would find me in another prayer fellowship, this time slightly bigger. Wednesday evening always found me at church for counselling and deliverance – whether I had any issues for counselling, or not.
Thursday evenings found me at church, for the praise and worship service. There was the occasional Friday overnight service, choir practice on Saturday and service on Sunday. And most days of the week, I had to attend one or the other lunch hour fellowship in town.
Looking back, I wonder how I even did it. Jesus Christ was the very centre of my existence. If I missed any of the listed fellowships, I would feel like I had stood up my darling.
But as the years swung by, the prayer partnerships collapsed as we each got busier schedules, far-flung homes and conflicting timetables. The Observer offices shifted from Ruth Towers to Kamwokya and regularly attending the lunch hour fellowships in the city centre and making it back for work became difficult.
I still try to prioritise God in the things I do, but I am clearly a shadow of my former self. If only I knew a formula I could employ to take me back to that first love... Because if this trend is anything to go by, then it scares me what will have happened by the time I am 30 years into salvation!
Like a good wine, shouldn’t we only get better with age? Why is it the opposite for most in the Salvation walk? Why the compromise, the laziness, the lukewarm attitude?
Food for thought, for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment